Sunday 22 September 2013

Artist Review - Emma Blackery

Hey guys!

It's been a little while since I've done a review, so I thought I'd write a little one for you all today :)

I've been fan of Emma Blackery for a little while now, but only recently have I started to get into her music.

Emma, 21, is also a 'YouTuber'. Since started her channel in May 2012, she has gained over 350, 000 subscribers, and almost 100, 000 Twitter followers - that's a lot of people interested in what she's doing!

I began watching her (I know it sounds creepy, but honest, it's not) in around August 2012, and I actually only just found out whilst writing this that her YouTube channel began only 4 months earlier! I thought she'd been doing it a long time, because I found myself wanting to watch more and more of her videos as she was that entertaining! Personally (and I know it sounds like I'm going to blow Emma's trumpet here, #noinnuendo) I think Emma is very funny. She's not like Grace Helbig / Mamrie Hart / Hannah Hart - they are naturally funny and PUNny people, like Emma, but Emma is hilarious in a whole different way. I don't mean that I laugh at her 'fails' or regrets in life (she's made many videos about these), but she's so sassy and.. well, she's herself, and she'll make you laugh.

Emma is very open with her audience, which makes you connect with her. Her openness has never hidden the fact that music is her passion, and this is such a good thing, as it means people have started listening to her music because they like IT, not just because they're fans of her vlogs.

Recently, in the July of this year, Emma released her EP called 'Distance'. I knew before this that she wrote songs and was a good singer, as I'd seen a few videos, but the release of this EP made me like her music ability even more.

The EP consists of 4 songs, which yes, could be seen as not that many, but for an artist writing, recording and producing songs takes time, so you have to bear that in mind. Emma's style and genre of music could be hard to pinpoint. Judging from what she's told us via YouTube/Twitter, she has many influences in music, one of which being Placebo, whom she got to interview this month. Watch the interview here:

 
However, for Emma's own music, I would say there was a Rock-Punk vibe, with a bit of pop thrown in there. After all, 'pop' just means popular, and that's what I can see her music being.

My favourite song of hers at the moment is 'Go The Distance'. I really like the lyrics, as they can relate to anyone, and the song itself is just really catchy. It's the kind of song you find yourself singing in the shower, or at least I do (I'm not sorry if you got any visuals from that, you're the one who's thinking about it!).

With the help of Luke Cutforth (LukeIsNotSexy), Emma shot a music video for the track and uploaded it to her channel. I'm very particular with what I like and don't like for music videos, but as I whole I really enjoyed her video. I know she didn't have a big team and lots of money behind it (we can't all be Katy Perry with tigers and selfie-taking monkeys), so considering that it was really good! For me, there were a few moments I didn't like, but that is just my opinion, and Emma knows that not everyone agrees with everyone else. Nethertheless I did like it, especially the shots with the water fountain, as I thought they especially suited the 'cute' element to the song.
If you want to hear the song and see what I'm writing about, watch here! :



Overall I feel Emma has come a long way as an artist - it's a big thing to release your own EP into the world for everyone to hear! And not only that, she played a gig at the Half Moon in Putney, a place where the likes of U2, The Who and The Rolling Stones have played, so in terms of gig-location development, she's really on the up! She performed with a live band, not just her acoustic guitar this time, and if you want to see what went down, watch this:


Despite the fact she doesn't have a huge array of officially released tracks out at the moment, I'm really getting into her music, and I don't think it'll be long until she's releasing more stuff!

Emma is always up to something, whether it be writing/recording music, making a video, playing a gig, going to a YouTube gathering, and I think for someone so young, that is a relatively big achievement.

I think I would be right in saying that she knows what she wants to do with her life, which is great, and I am very happy to support her and to continue to be a loyal subscriber; I hope from what you've read/seen you might consider doing the same!

Emma Blackery's new EP? I'd give it 4.5/5. The songs are slick, the vocals are great, and the EP suits the image Emma has made for herself. When you buy music, you also buy into the artist, so with Emma also being a YouTuber it allows us guys to get more involved with her life AND enjoy her music- and I don't think £2.99 is too much for that, do you? ;)

SUBSCRIBE AND WATCH EMMA HERE (on YouTube, no creepy)
FOLLOW EMMA HERE (on Twitter, no stalky)
BUY EMMA HERE (her music, she ain't no prostitute)
EMMA'S TUMBLR
EMMA'S FACEBOOK
EMMA'S BLOG/WEBSITE

Have a good life, take a listen, take a look.

I'll see you next time, bye for now!!

x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment