Sunday 12 April 2015

Hmm yeah well

Right... hi there, again. Eventually. After what feels like thousands of years.

I'm currently in New Zealand after travelling around Australia for a month. So I guess I've got some explaining to do...

But I've already got ahead of myself. Let's start at the beginning, okay?

_________________________________________________


Lets back-track to Christmas 2013.

Almost everyone in my year at sixth form was applying to university. And I did the same. However, I ticked this little box on my application, stating that I wanted to defer my entry until 2015, rather than September 2014.

Don't worry - I meant to do this!

I had this idea/thought in my head of travelling for a year in Australia. I have family in Sydney, and I had saved money from my job at home... why not?!

And I just kept saying it.

And telling people. 


And saying it again. 



And telling more people.

Until it came to August 2014 when BAM, results day came, and I got into university. Hooray!

It's a scary day for everyone, but luckily I came out of it relatively unscathed. I did end up crying at McDonalds a few hours after receiving my results - but that's another story.

So, you with me so far? I'm into uni, and I've told all my friends that I'm basically going to Australia for 6 months to a year... well it didn't exactly work out that way.

Come September 2014, and all my friends bar a few have left for university - Scotland, Leeds, Kent, Sheffield... all places far away from me. I'm still working at Homebase, a job which I loved, but still stuck in my loveable but unfortunately average hometown.

My plans for Australia were still just talk. I kept saying I was going, but I wasn't booking anything. I was all talk and no trousers, or so the saying goes.

Eventually I started looking into things, because by October my friend Charlotte (who was also still at home) was making plans. Before we knew it, Christmas had gone, we'd said hello and farewell to our friends home from university, and I waved Charlotte goodbye as she embarked on a three month adventure to Nepal as a volunteer with the ICS.

It was time to get my butt into action, I thought. It's 2015 and I'm still here. So I spent money, money that it pained me to see disappear, but I got in touch with my family in Sydney. I got a visa. I booked return flights to Australia. 

And suddenly it was all very real.

After what seemed like no time at all, it was a month until I left. I was still working, and then I had to hand my notice in. 

I know some people will think that I'm crazy, but I really didn't want to leave my job. Lots of people who work in retail know the everyday, mundane stresses over customers and stock, and yes, every job can be a pain, but I loved it. It was the best first job I could have ever had, and I had so much fun working there. I'd made so many good friends, too - leaving my job sucked, and I stand by that statement.

Before this I had booked a two-week tour of the East Coast of Australia for while I was over there. There were lots of problems and money worries regarding this, and I don't know whether I should go into it online, but let me tell you it was not a happy time - and I was leaving in a matter of weeks! But it got sorted out. I guess that's what matters now, looking back.

Suddenly I had a week left, my first week of not working since the previous summer (I was rubbish for taking holiday time!). I had to do all my packing, and say my goodbyes. And, after copious amounts of vodka with my friends, and almost sitting on my suitcase to get stuff to fit in, I was ready.

Although my original year-long Australian travel dream had dwindled down to two months, at least I was going. And when I booked it, it felt like it would be the longest time away from home ever! How wrong was I.

I have less than a month left now, and I don't want to go. Australia has well and truly stolen my heart thus far.

So, I think that's enough for now. I'll be back with a blog about the flight - believe me 24 hours is far f**king longer than you think. Honestly.

Until next time,

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment