Sunday 26 April 2015

Taking a Tour...

Now, hold your breath... this is going to be a long one.

Yes, it's surprising, two blogs in one day! What is going on?! The honest truth is that I went to the Blue Mountains earlier today and I am knackered. Blogging requires sitting, which I am totally okay with. It's not because I'm a super good blogger (you know that's true).

So today, on this fine (very cold and wet from earlier) evening in Australia, I tell you the tale of my two week SUPER DUPER TOUR with Topdeck. I haven't been sponsored or anything to write this blog, I spent a flipping big amount of money on the tour and GODDAMIT if I enjoyed myself I WILL BLOG ABOUT IT!

Luckily for Topdeck, I DID enjoy myself! Woo!

If I went into detail about each place we went to, we would be here all day - literally, I would not stop talking! The basic rundown was, Sydney to Cairns, over two weeks, stopping at (get ready): Hunter Valley, Crescent Head, Byron Bay, Springbrook National Park, Surfer's Paradise, Fraser Island, Myella Farm, Emu Park, The Whitsundays, Whitehaven Beach, Daydream Island, and finally, Cairns. Wooh. 
Told you we could be here all day.

Some of those places were just a visit - we were lucky enough to stop at Hunter Valley's vineyard and try some wine. At 11AM with a bunch of strangers, drinking seemed odd, but it was strangely bonding even at the time in the morning. We also got to stomp on grapes and make 'wine' with our feet in these great big barrels. Needless to say I wouldn't have spent a penny on the lurid grey/purple liquid that we produced in our bottle at the end of the stomping race, but it was very fun. 

From there we went to Crescent Head and spent a night at what can only be described as the most ADORABLE surf camp in the world. I know surfing is meant to be 'cool' and 'hipster' etc, but this place was CUTE. See pictures below.




The next morning, on Day 2, I had my very first (and possibly my last surf lesson). They tell you it's hard, but they don't specify just how much energy it takes to surf. Not only do you have to remember all the different steps, and when to start your surf on the wave, but when you crash and fall (which you will do, guaranteed), you have to resurface and make your way back out there again. Doing this over and over, while waves are crashing on you and you're carrying a large surfboard? It's pretty tiring!!
I was positively rubbish at first. In fact, I gave up and went and sat on the beach. But then I saw someone else going back out to give it another try. And I thought "I've not paid all this money to just give up. I want to stand up at least once." So I put my ankle cord back on, grabbed the board, and went back out there. 
I had a bit more energy after my sit down on the sand, and with the help of Ben (or Benny?), the instructor, I stood up four times. FOUR TIMES!! He took a step out of the process for me, by pushing my board so I didn't have to paddle. This made it easier, but I was still incredibly proud of not completely and utterly failing. I look like a bit of a dork, but here's some proof!



See, I stood up!
One of my favourite photos - me mid falling onto our instructor's head haha!

Surfing was so awesome. I'm really glad I tried it, and I might do it again one day. I'd urge you to have a lesson if you're going somewhere renowned for it, like Australia or parts of America and South Africa. Get a proper instructor, and just try and remember to have fun! It's tough, but it can be very rewarding :) Some of the guys on our trip were really good; you might even find a talent you didn't know you had!

So that was day one and part of day two. There will be more, but I was on this tour for fourteen days! That would be one HECK of a long blog! In the aim of being kind, I'm going to split them up. It'll be easier to read, and you won't get lost or too bored half way through! Next stop - Byron Bay....

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment