Friday 21 June 2013

MADEON - REVIEW

Hey guys!

Bit of a different review today, but I'm hoping you'll like it!

As a response to my last review, a guy I [kind of] know called Joe Joiner (@JoeJoinerr on Twitter) suggested I review something I wasn't particularly familiar with.

I liked this idea, so I asked him for suggestions.

And this is why I'm reviewing 'Madeon' for you today.


"Strike a pose"
I'd never heard of Madeon, much to Joe's horror, but I listened to some of his songs on YouTube and read up on him, and now I'm much more knowledgeable about him than I was before.

Basically, if someone asked me who he was I could tell them, but that's about it.

Yet, I think that's enough to base a review on for all of you to read.. I hope it's enough anyway.

Madeon is a 19-year old electro house/pop music producer from France, and in this country, he is something of a marvel, to both professional and novice music producers alike. He started composing music at the age of 11, so you could say he was a bit of a kid genius. Either way, he now makes a career out of doing what he loves, and I have to say, he's pretty good at it.

Although electro pop/house music is not my music of choice, since listening to Madeon and other similar music mixes, I've started to like it a bit more. I've never been a fan of club music - it's alright in the moment, but to me it's just noise. Yet, listening to some of Madeon's tracks and seeing some videos, you can really see how much work goes into producing each one. It is not an easy task, and I began to appreciate that kind of music.

The first song I listened to was 'The City' but if, like me, you had never heard of Madeon, then I don't think this is the best song to start with. Go a bit further back, and maybe start with his YouTube video 'Pop Culture'. It was this song that got me interested.

'Pop Culture' - Madeon

 
It's been almost 2 years since Madeon posted his video 'Pop Culture' on YouTube, and in that time it has had over 19 MILLION views. That's a lot of views for a song a 17 year old boy made in his bedroom.

It is a mash-up of 39 songs, covering many different genres including pop, house and club music, and Madeon puts his own twist on all of them, whilst mixing them together at the same time.

The video itself is only 3:26 long, yet it is, in it's own way, a masterpiece. Watching the video you can see it took a lot of time and effort for him to make it. God knows how many takes it took to get it perfect, but it shows he has skill.

Then I listened to a few more songs including 'Finale'. 'Finale' sounded familiar to me, I think it might have been used on TV or something, so you might recognise it too, but it's definitely worth checking out. Completely different to 'Pop Culture' in the fact that it is all his own work, not just a remix of other people's songs. It features vocals from Nicholas Pertricca from Walk The Moon, and it's brilliant.

 'Finale' - Madeon


'The City' was even more different to 'Pop Culture' and 'Finale'. There were more vocals used, and the computerised elements of the song didn't have as much focus. Some would say this is a bad thing, but I disagree. Despite all his songs having, essentially, the same electronic features, he manages to make every one sound completely different. This shows he's versatile, and will propel him to where he wants to go within the music industry.
Also, 'The City' (which was released in the October of last year) had a proper music video, which was very creative in itself. The colours used in the video and the feel of the song match perfectly, and despite not being overly convinced about it at first, I grew to really like it.

'The City' - Madeon



 
All in all, Madeon has gained himself another fan, and I hope you guys will check out his music. It might be different from what you're used to, but just do it! Get out your comfort zone every once in a while, you might find you quite like it!

Madeon also really likes The Beatles as far as I can tell from photos and Twitter, so I think we can trust him when it comes to music..

Here is where you can find Madeon:

Subscribe to his YouTube channel!
Follow him on Twitter!
Like him on Facebook!

Thank you Joe Joiner, for telling me about him; my horizons have most certainly been broadened.

Until next time!

x x x x


(P.S - I'm going to see Paloma Faith LIVE at Westonbirt Arboretum tomorrow, so expect a blog about that next week :) I'm very excited!! Bye for now!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment