Tuesday 18 June 2013

They're saving rock 'n' roll and they're doing it well - ALBUM REVIEW

Hey guys!

Here's another review for you, as I got a lot of feedback on my last one! I even got a follow and messages from Mike Dignam himself.
Despite parts of my review causing a little misunderstanding, I think he was overall pleased with it, and I'm very happy he actually read it - so thank you Mike.

Today however, I'm reviewing a CD! Fall Out Boy's new album to be precise.

I heard a lot about the album when it first came out, on Facebook and Twitter and such, but I didn't actually start listening to it until about a month ago.

And the reason for this?

Well, I've always liked Fall Out Boy (my sister was indie before it was cool, therefore I was forced to listen to her music, thankfully FOB are actually good) but I was a little scared by this album.

1) It was everywhere. Everyone was talking about it, and it was almost becoming mainstream to like them.
Not that I don't like 'mainstream' things, sometimes I do, but I didn't want to go and listen just because everyone on Twitter was raving.

And 2) This album was the first thing FOB had released as a group since 2008, so I was a bit sceptical; had they changed? If so, was it a positive change, or had they lost themselves in the five year 'rest'?

I was about to find out.

Then the day came when I decided I should dive in and find out what the new album was like, so using my trusty friend Spotify, I listened.

And 'Save Rock 'n' Roll' by Fall Out Boy was everything I heard it was... and more.

It exceeded my expectations.

Yes, it was a slightly different sound, but it sounded AWESOME.

Of course I immediately wrote a status and/or tweet about how the good rumours were true.. oh, they were so true.

I am usually light-years behind everyone when it comes to music, this case being no exception, but I really wish I wasn't.

I think I hold myself back too much when it comes to opening up to new artists- I like to stick to what I know, and if I'm not familiar with it scares me.

I loved Fall Out Boys first album 'From Under The Cork Tree' (it is still one of my favourite, and in my opinion the best, albums I own), but even so the prospect of a new sound from one of my childhood bands scared me.

BUT FACE YOUR FEARS, BECAUSE THE ALBUM IS GREAT.

 
The first track of the album is called 'The Phoenix'. My immediate thought when the intro was playing was "This sounds like Plan B" and it does. The intro really does. But it stops there; the rest is aaaaaaall Fall Out Boy.

All. The. Way.

'Save Rock 'n' Roll' is packed with ace songs that are catchy, musically brilliant and typical of Fall Out Boy.. the old band and the newer version.

The songs will stick in your head. Seriously.

But worship that; at least it's not a Rebecca Black song stuck in there.. sorry.

But moving on...

It has songs that make you feel good. You will want to sing along. They are not screamy or shouty or depressing. They're just good.

It's great, well worth any of your time and money. So what are you waiting for?

Whether or not you've heard of FOB before, or any of their songs, you are guaranteed to like this album.

It obviously helps if you like Indie/Rock music, so I'd probably avoid it if you can only listen to Acoustic/Country & Western without your ears bleeding.. this album might not be your cup of tea.

That shouldn't stop you though. Go find it on iTunes or Spotify or YouTube.
Broaden your horizons. I wish I'd done it sooner.

I give 'Save Rock 'n' Roll' by Fall Out Boy 9.5/10.

Fall Out Boy are BACK. They are back with a BANG. And gosh, we've missed you. But thankfully, you're here to save music once again. You're like a non-magical, musical, American Harry Potter..

Thank you for saving rock 'n' roll.

Find Fall Out Boy here:

Patrick Stump – lead vocals, guitars
Pete Wentz – bass guitar, backing vocals
Joe Trohman – guitars, backing vocals
Andy Hurley – drums, percussion, backing vocals

Facebook
Twitter


Go listen to 'Save Rock 'n' Roll'! Follow the links below:

Spotify (listen to the full album for free and/or buy)
iTunes (listen to samples for free and/or buy)
YouTube

Bye for now!!

x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment